Monday 13 July 2015

Countryside Adventure Magazine Collage



This upcycled magazine collage 'Countryside Adventure' is a revisit of an early piece. It is based on an image of my nephew and daughter walking along the path to the local woodland.

Inspiration for Countryside Adventure

I first collaged this in 2010 when I was starting to develop my technique, this piece seems extremely crude to my eyes now but was an important stage in my development.

'Countryside Adventure' 2010


My Mum is the proud owner of the original and now new version of this. Until recently the first one was hung in the same room as 'Over the wall' and the striking contrast in technique made me want to recreate it in my current style.

'Over the wall' magazine collage 
When I resketched this out I decided to go with a portrait composition, filling in the rest of the path from memory. I want to illustrate the path to the woods and feeling of adventure.

Rough Sketch 'Countryside Adventure
I wanted to give the shadow more definition in the new piece

Detail from 'Countryside Adventure'
I also tried a new technique to create the grasses bordering the path, I'm using more and more cut magazines mixed in with the ripped than I did previously. Mixing the two methods gives me much more accuracy in depicting scenes.

Detail from 'Countryside Adventure'
I'm really pleased with the way my technique is developing and I am looking forward to further exploring the possibilities in this medium.


The new version of 'Countryside Adventure' has been added to my eco print range and I hope to add to my greetings cards designs before the end of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment